Wednesday, December 3, 2014

"More happiness than you have yet exerienced awaits you..."


Sometimes I wonder why God has seen fit to pour out so many incredible blessings upon me and upon this area! We had an amazing week!

Last week I remembered one of my past companions telling me about a less active family with kids who were old enough to be baptized. That was surely the Holy Ghost “bringing things to my remembrance” as the scriptures say. This week we were able to get in contact with them and set baptismal dates with the 10 year old, the 8 year old, as well as the 11 year old cousin! What a miracle. And their dad is willing to bring them to church. Their family situation is pretty dysfunctional right now, but I hope that this will motivate the parents to return to church. There are few things that rip at my heart strings more than seeing broken families- I have really gained a testimony on my mission of the importance of families and how they aren't just an "earth thing"- families are the core of eternity. 

 This week C was baptized! She is adorable! It was such a neat experience to watch someone who I found, taught, and worked through the whole conversion process with finally enter into that covenant of baptism. She reminds me a lot of Carol- actually, their birthdays are only a week apart. This morning, a quote from one of the apostles popped into my head- "when you save a girl, you save generations". There is a part of Preach My Gospel that talks about how the people we meet don't necessarily realize that eternity hangs in the balance- but we do. I know that someday she will look back and it will just hit her how important this is!

We met with a new investigator, L yesterday. Yay! It was the first time meeting with him since the street contact, so we shared the first lesson with him and recommitted him to be baptized (he had committed on the street). He was like, "yeah, of course- I told you last time that I would be baptized..." Hahaha! He is really great. We pulled out our copies of the Book of Mormon from our bags and he immediately apologized for not having read it yet and said he would do better next week. He has a baptismal date for the end of the month!
the "forbidden fruit"?

On Monday evening we had a couple hours of finding time but it was pouring rain, so we decided to just keep our big blue ponchos on. Imagine being you (except Asian) and opening your door to find two white, soaking wet American girls who look like oompa loompas and one of them is carting around a CD player. Hahaha! Yep. Being a missionary is really awesome!

The past few days, I have just been given a knowledge, an assurance that I- me personally- really did live with God before I came here. I feel like the Holy Ghost has just given me an incredible eternal perspective. I think I am feeling in my heart what I've known in my head all along. 

Yesterday in church as I was sitting in the chapel, I think I finally understood what is meant in my setting apart blessing by "more happiness than you have yet experienced awaits you as you labor among His children". As I sat in our beautiful new chapel with C, our recent convert on one side and our soon-to-be baptized friend on the other side, watched another recent convert pass the sacrament, and saw our investigators sitting across the chapel and being surrounded by members I love so much, I felt it. I felt more happiness than I had ever experienced. I love these people. They are "my" people. 

Life is good.
Sis Murri

No comments:

Post a Comment