Monday, June 9, 2014

Miracle teaching moments and a 7 course steak dinner


We met an amazing miracle investigator this week named K. We met her at a park, and teaching her has been one of the most powerful experiences of my mission. We told her why we were here in Taiwan, and she said, "Teach me! Teach me about your church- I want to know!" She just wants the Gospel. She wants forgiveness of sins. Her husband passed away last year from cancer, and she has a son who has some mild mental handicaps and is blind, so she was SO SO excited when we taught her about the plan of salvation. She said, "I get it! I feel so much happiness! I know where my husband is!" She told us that it had been a long time since she had really felt happy and said she knew that we were angels from God sent to teach her. I love her so much. She read from the Book of Mormon every night between our first and second visits, and even though she said she doesn't understand everything, she says she will keep working until she understands 100%. When we shared with her the scripture in Alma 40 about the spirit world, she said, "I hope this is true." The spirit was so strong when I responded to her, "It is!" The only potential issue is that she has a very Buddhist mom- even though K is 63, people here care very much about their parents' opinions, especially concerning religion. So please pray for her.

We are still working with Z JM. Her baptismal goal was the 15th, but this week, Sis Petersen and I have both been feeling like she is not quite ready. She could definitely pass a baptismal interview, but we want her to wait a little to make sure she will stay strong in the church. 

We started teaching a family this week!! There is a mom and dad and a 10 year old girl and 8 year old boy. They are a super amazing family that we met through English class. Their family just has a really strong feeling, and their kids love church. We really hope they can all get baptized together on the 29th!


 This weekend, a member took us and the elders and a bunch of other ward members to a SUPER fancy steak restaurant. There were seven courses.

 
1. Appetizer: a few delicious shrimp (you know it was a good restaurant if I liked the shrimp...) with some green beans and a mustard sauce with a little tomato
2. Antipasto: a baked flaky pastry with this beef filling on top
3. Salad: fresh fruit with a dipping sauce
4. Soup: beef meatball and tomato broth soup
5. Main: the most beautiful and perfectly cooked steak I have ever eaten in my entire life
6. Drinks: herbal tea
7. Dessert: brownie with vanilla ice cream

Yeah, it was so good. When I take you all here we will go eat there since it's only about 15 USD per person.
view from the Taipei 101

Last p-day we went with the elders and W (a young woman who speaks perfect English and is preparing to go on a mission) to the Taipei 101, the 3rd tallest building in the world. That was pretty cool! Today Wu Mama is taking us to Danshui, so that should be fun!

 Being on my mission has made me appreciate the ordinance of the sacrament so much more. It really is such a peaceful time to renew the covenants we made at baptism and just receive a clean start. I also read a quote from the book “Our Heritage” that I really loved. It is by a survivor of the Martin handcart company about his experience: "We came through with an absolute knowledge that God lives for we became acquainted with him in our extremities. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay." I feel like that with my mission sometimes! It is definitely the hardest- and sometimes the most frustrating- thing I have ever done in my life. But it is the best thing that has ever happened for my life, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Another interesting English translation
 Sis Murri
 
junk mail is universal...



1 comment:

  1. I might not be going to Taiwan soon, but please mail be a sample of that meal. I would really appreciate it. Almost as much as I appreciate hearing about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete