Saturday, March 15, 2014

"I just came from the doctor's." "Why? Ain't you feeling well?" "Oh, well it's an optometrist office- I work there."


Nimen hao! 

Okay, first we'll start with my optometrist appointment. The trip out of the MTC bubble was a little weird, but it was nice to see that civilization still exists! There was actually no one else at the optometrist except me and my companion and the dr, of course, so I didn't even get to talk to real people, which was a bit of a disappointment. But hey, it was a nice field trip!

Last week, we had the most AMAZING TRC lesson ever! The week before, we taught this sweet lady from Taiwan named Sis C. I felt impressed to share Alma 7:11-13 with her, and we ended up talking a lot about the atonement. She gave us the sweetest feedback and said that she felt the Spirit so strongly. Anyway, this week, we saw her again! She recognized us right away and came up and gave us a big hug (which is rare- Taiwanese people aren't huggy) and said, "I LOVE YOU!" She remembered our names and was so excited to tell us that she remembered the scripture we shared with her last week and that she had told everyone she knew about that scripture. It is such an amazing feeling to be loved by someone so sweet and amazing, and we know that it was the Lord helping us to teach this sweet sister and touch her life.

This week I learned what it truly means to be a successful missionary. It is all about the Spirit and love and people. Everyone wants to help people get baptized, of course, but it's really about more than that. In "Preach my Gospel" (a missionary handbook), it talks about how your success as a missionary is primarily measured by your commitment to do the will of the Lord. One of the greatest things about missionary work is that every single second is focused on someone else. Actually, thinking about the end of my mission just made me cry! (it's true- being on a mission makes you a crybaby.)

I am SO INCREDIBLY GRATEFUL to be a Mandarin speaking missionary and to be going to Taiwan! The work in Asia is moving forward SO fast! Each of the sisters in my district know of at least 2 other people who have been called to Taiwan/mandarin speaking. Recently, Elder Holland (one of the 12 Apostles) dedicated Macau for missionary work! The brethren also visited Taiwan and China and several other Asian nations. So amazing! We are preparing the way for the gospel to be spread to all Asian people! Someday, China will be open for missionary work- I just know it. That gives me extra incentive to keep up with my Chinese so that someday I can return and be a missionary there! AHHH! I feel so privileged to be called to Taiwan and to get to speak Mandarin.

I am SO ready to be in Taiwan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am excited and terrified all at the same time. I know that my Chinese is still pretty terrible, but I feel like there's a limit to how much I can improve here where I'm not surrounded by it all the time. We should be getting our travel plans this Friday!!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL! Thanks for the emails and letter and dear elders! They really do make my day!

Mu Jiemei

No comments:

Post a Comment