Monday, October 6, 2014

"Your baby is coming!"


On Friday afternoon I got a call from one of the assistants, Elder Huang. He did the normal pleasantries and asked how we were doing and then said he had some good news (all in Chinese). Then, in English, he said "your baby is coming!", switched back to Chinese, and said that the new missionaries were flying in the next day! I have to go to a meeting in Taibei for all the trainers! Tomorrow is transfer meeting, and I will finally have my new missionary! 

 Last week for p-day, our district got together and went out to an all-you-can-eat pizza hut. It probably doesn't take too many guesses to figure out whose idea that was- the sisters' or the elders' (hint- it wasn't the sisters :D). I think the elders all ate 20+ slices of pizza each....I'm sure pizza hut was thrilled when they saw the 8 of us come in the door! :D I love being with my district! They are all such great missionaries. Next p-day for my birthday we are planning a picnic at the beach!

One fun experience of the week was meeting an old lady who was practically deaf. I had to literally yell the gospel in her ear...but on the upside, I'm sure all the neighbors could hear it! We should contact old deaf ladies more often. 

Another fun experience of the week was that I bought myself a $290 (NT) steak for dinner one day this week. (about $9.50 US) I was just craving some red meat all day so I splurged. But since I haven't had much meat for a while- much less steak- it didn't even taste as good as I was expecting. But it was fun anyway.

Kind of funny that the vast majority of our progressing investigators are under the age of 21! We were able to find 8 new investigators this week, so we are excited to work with them and see who will progress!! On Saturday, we had just finished a lesson and had about 10 minutes before dinner. It would have been easy to just head to dinner early, but instead we decided to use that time to knock...and we saw a miracle! We met a lady who let us come up to her house and share a message- it was really what she needed to hear. 

We have been working with an less active member, C, the past few weeks- I think I have mentioned her before. She was baptized 30 years ago but hasn't been to church in a long time. She is just the cutest lady, and whenever we visit her, she always gives us stuff.  She told us this week that she has read up through Enos in the Book of Mormon already!!!! When I heard that I was so proud of her! Since we started visiting her, she has been reading every day, and you can just see the changes that have been happening. And, the most exciting part....SHE CAME TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She was so happy to be there that she wanted to take pictures with everyone. And we were happy to oblige. :D

One of the things I've learned this week was how important it is to have the Spirit. I mean, every missionary- and member of the church for that matter- knows that, but I have seen this week how the Spirit provides the motivation for this work. When I have the Spirit with me, I can't stop myself from sharing the gospel- it's all I want to do. When I have the Spirit, I have more Christ-like attributes. Both of these things are essential to the work. 

I am losing myself in the work...the other day I sat down at the piano, and realized I forgot how to read bass clef. That was a little weird! I had to think pretty hard to remember- my brain is just in missionary mode right now! I love being a missionary!

Sis Murri

No comments:

Post a Comment